Trade Facilitation Unit - Coconut By-products (milk, cream, cream concentrate, desiccated coconut, Coconut oil (virgin), concentrated coconut water)
Coconut Milk - Coconut milk is the dilute emulsion of comminuted coconut endosperm (kernel) in water with the soluble and the suspended solids distributed;
Coconut Cream – the emulsion extracted from matured endosperm (kernel) of the coconut fruit with or without any addition of coconut water;
Coconut Cream Concentrate - the product obtained after the partial removal of water from coconut cream;
Desiccated Coconut - prepared from substantially sound white kernel obtained from the whole nut of coconut (Cocos nucifera L.), having reached appropriate development for processing, without oil extraction;
Coconut Oil (virgin) – obtained from fresh and mature kernel (12 months old from pollination) of the coconut (Cocos nucifera L.) by mechanical or natural means with or without the application of heat, which does not lead to alteration of the nature of the oil.
- The processing facility must have a HACCP program in place verified by the competent authority;
- The facility must be registered under the competent authority in the country where the honey is produced;
- The coconut by-products meets all labelling and other food safety requirements of the Food Safety and Quality Food Regulations;
- Coconut by-products shall meet all labelling requirements for the General Standard on the Labelling of Prepackaged Foods (CODEX STAN 1-1985), the CARICOM Regional Standard for the Labelling of Prepackaged Foods, the Standard for Aqueous Coconut Products – Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream – CXS 240-2003, the Standard for Desiccated Coconut (CODEX STAN 177- 1991) and the APCC Quality Standard Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Present an export license to Customs from the country of export prior to placement of an order;
- A certificate of origin must be produced;
- All imported coconut by-products must produce a phytosanitary certificate, signed by the competent authority to indicate that the facilities that process coconut by-product have been inspected;
- A declaration that “the product (milk, cream, cream concentrate, desiccated coconut, Coconut oil (virgin)) is free from contamination and is safe for human consumption”;
- Documentation indicating that the exporter is approved (registered) for international trade to The Bahamas by that country’s competent authority.
- All coconut by-products shall be shipped at the appropriate temperature to minimize an increase in pathogenic microorganisms
- Coconut milk and coconut cream shall have normal color, flavor and odor characteristics of the products;
- The coconut by-products within shall comply with maximum levels for heavy metals and pesticide residue as established by Codex Alimentarius;
- The coconut by-products within shall be prepared and handled in accordance with the General Principles of Food Hygiene (CXC 1-1969), Code of Hygienic Practice for Aseptically Processed and Packaged Low-Acid Foods (CXC 40-1993), and the Code of Hygienic Practice for Low-Acid and Acidified Low-Acid Canned Foods (CXC 23-1979);
- Color - desiccated coconut has a natural white to light creamy white color; Texture - shall be characteristic of the product; Flavor - the taste shall be characteristic of the product without off- flavors due to deterioration or absorption of extraneous substances; Odor - shall be characteristic of the product, shall not be moldy, cheesy, smoky, fermented or rancid, and shall not possess any undesirable odor;
- Virgin coconut oil is colorless, free of sediment with a natural fresh coconut scent and is free from any rancid odor or taste;
- There shall be no additives in coconut oil (virgin);